Monday, March 14, 2016

Too Much Pressure on Teenagers to Go to College?




Do teens have the time in high school, for the decision to go to college?
What makes teenagers obligated to go to college?
Are teens afraid of not going to college and not being successful?
What influence does today's society, parents, and friends have on your decision?
Is it the decision to go to college or something else?


College, it's on many teenagers minds throughout high school while finishing their final year of being a high schooler. I was definitely uncertain on my decision of continuing school either right after high school, the next semester, do I even go at all? . My decision was certainly last minute just because I was undecided on what to do, I ended up registering and coming to school to see if I would like it.  My biggest concern with making a decision was will it all be worth it in the end? I tend to ask everyone I meet that is a college graduate, "if college was worth it?" I ask because I try to get as much advice or suggestions as I can.



I feel like a lot of college students continue school not because they want to but since one sees everyone going including your friends/peers. Most of these students choose the right thing to do (which is go to college) but don't choose what's best for them, I do know college isn't for everyone. The people that are with you everyday like your family are there to give you advice and guide you, not the situation with every one's families because a lot of college students have support from no one.

For me school is very important, everyone should go if they can but it all depends on the person, what they're majoring, Is there a market for their major?, Does the major make sense?, How are they going to put their degree to use?  To continue bettering your education because it is very important in today's society to be well educated.

This is important because lots of young adults are going into debt fresh out of high school, unless I'm the only one who thinks this not okay. In my opinion, if one goes to college really with no intentions or go because one is compelled to/expected one is less likely to succeed.






5 comments:

  1. I really like your topic because I do feel that there is a lot of pressure on teens to go to college. I find it very interesting that the students who go into college with no intentions, they tend to be not as successful. In regards to asking people if college is “worth it,” I would like to know what people have to say about it? For example, was it beneficial to them because they were majoring in something? Or was it not beneficial to them because they weren’t sure what they wanted to do in the future? I do agree with the fact that college is very important if your major does guarantee that you to always have a job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I feel like college is a "one-size fits all" answer that gets imposed on teenagers when it might not be the right fit for certain individuals. I believe there is solid research, however, comparing the salaries of workers with and without college degrees that shows a college degree more than pays for itself with the increased earnings workers with college degrees get. Having said that, I'm not convinced that college is the only path for teenagers. Without a solid alternative plan, however, I think it would be easy for a teenager who doesn't go to school to get stuck in the cycle of working in a low-level job dead-end job that isn't fulfilling and doesn't pay well. That's a cycle that can be hard to break out of. I wonder how you see trade schools or vocational schools factoring into your topic. I've heard there will be a shortage of qualified workers in the trades. Many of these jobs (plumber, HVAC, mechanic....)offer good compensation and certainly aren't in any danger of being outsourced! I think it's interesting that you're willing to call out and question the implicit expectations many students feel when contemplating the next step after college. I look forward to seeing where your research leads you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me going to college was more of my parents decision then mine. And I wouldn't say I'm doing the best so I agree. But over time I have realized that this is the best decision for me. I like how you say your point. I do think there is a lot of pressure for teens to go to college. What I'd like to know what people say to the questions about whether college is worth it. I know college is really important but what do people think about it. And that's what I'd like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. College now is becoming more and more common. The work force now will ask for your study degree and if you aren't continuing school you are not going to be a good candidate. Because they expect that higher educated kids will have better understanding or learn faster on how the place work. When I was in high school the pressure on my friend groups to go to college is massive, because all of their parents have being there and some have achieved higher. I agree with you that school isn't for everyone, but if you search up the salary of a person working in office compare with person working on road it is very different. As one of newer growing up generation I see that most of my friends have at least 3.8 GPA and they are all expected to go into a good college or attempt to get into one. As a kid who isn't that great at studying I feel left out at times, but my parents have degrees and they are looking forward to the day I get my so I guess the only way is to continue the path that is given to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this because there is a lot of pressure for school. Students have full time jobs and go to school which is so overwhelming. But we do need to go to college because really there is no other choice, but I enjoyed reading about your topic because it is so true.

    ReplyDelete